This week was full of work, though I did manage to hit the gym a couple of times (on my to-do list for a while!). When I paused it was mostly for meals, so my Instagram feed has been all about food:
And now… “food” for thought:
- I loved this infographic about how to stop negative thoughts from getting you down, especially the last part: be patient and forgiving with yourself.
- Have you come across Adichie’s Powerful Essay on Raising a Feminist Daughter? Valuable advice for our unequal world.
- The American Academy of Pediatrics released new directives on screen time for kids: babies should not be exposed to social media at all until 18 months and 2 hours a day is now considered excessive for children up to 5 years.
- This article explains how environmental factors like exposure to light and interaction with nature can boost learning. It seems classroom design does matter after all!
- Some data on women’s roles as peacebuilders. It’s interesting to find out “when women are included in peace processes, there is a 20 per cent increase in the probability of an agreement lasting at least 2 years, and a 35 per cent increase in the probability of an agreement lasting at least 15 years”. Bottom line: more women should go into politics!
- Check out 31 things your kids should be doing instead of homework, because “when homework is assigned to young children, it doesn’t improve academic learning. In any case, the learning done in school is only one form of learning. Homework takes away from the time available to engage in endless other forms of learning, such as social, physical, and emotional, as well as rest.”
- The coming days are rich in Autumn festivities, like Celtic inspired Halloween, Mexican holiday Day of the Dead and the Hindu celebration of Diwali. As the seasons change and Winter comes closer, these festivities point to the contrast between light and darkness, trigger memories of the dead and ignite the celebration of the force of life within us. Here you can read an account of a multicultural Halloween, here a post on how to set up a family altar for Day of the Dead and here one family’s Diwali experience in Canada.
- A lot is being said on social media this week about the way work is organized nowadays and how we can be happier at work.
- Have you checked out this video about the best educational system in the world? It’s worth it to watch the whole thing!
- I loved, loved this roundup of career advice!
- Did you know 40% of our day-to-day happiness is up to us?
- We will be visiting friends in Braga this weekend, for photos check out my Instagram.
Have an inspired weekend!